The 12th Annual Conference on Engaged Management Scholarship (EMS) will be organized by the Executive DBA Council (EDBAC) and the DBA Program at Universidad Panamericana, Guadalajara, México. The EMS 2022 Conference offers a global venue for management practitioner scholars and a growing worldwide group of practitioner-oriented DBA programs to meet, report research findings that are problem driven and practice oriented, and engage in debates around management education for practitioner scholars.
Universidad Panamericana in Guadalajara, México, will host the EMS 2022 Conference in a hybrid format (both in person and online) on September 8-10, 2022.
The EMS 2022 conference theme will be focused on “Value Creation through Engaged Management Scholarship”. Given that Engaged Scholarship is a participatory form of research for studying complex real-world problems based on the different perspectives and understandings of key stakeholders, value is created through the contributions derived from the research questions posed by researchers, positively impacting different areas, such as the area of concern, the method of inquiry, the conceptual framework, and the real-world problematic situations, whatever that might be. Submissions are invited, to the extent of possible, that contribute to shed light on how such value creation can be envisioned in different approaches from the EMS point of view.
We look forward to receiving submissions for:
- Research Papers and Posters
- Doctoral Consortium Proposals
- Discussion Panels
The submission process will open on May 1, 2022, and the deadline for all submissions is June 19, 2022. All submissions to be processed using EasyChair.
Visit https://ems2022.gdl.up.mx/ for information.
Please note that all submissions involve a commitment to register and present or participate in the conference, as appropriate for the type of submission, either virtually or in person. Paper submissions for which no authors are registered for the conference by the deadlines will be removed from the program and proceedings.
Attendance without presentation of any research paper is possible. Attendance to the Doctoral Consortium is by invitation only, see section on Doctoral Consortium for more information about it.
Authors/participants can submit in any of the following ways:
1. Research Paper Submissions
These submissions represent completed papers or research projects, including EMR dissertation diggests, and empirical, essay, translation, and topic papers. These papers will be peer-reviewed and, if accepted, presented either in person or virtually at the conference, and will appear in the conference proceedings. Regular submissions presenting completed research projects are where the primary research question(s) have been at least partially addressed and answered.
These submissions can theoretically and methodologically take any form: quantitative studies, qualitative studies, new theoretical positions and so forth. Papers need to provide compelling insights into critical business problems offering solutions that are practical and evidence-based consistent with the mission, aim and scope of Engaged Scholarship.
Regular submissions can follow any of the five genres of Engaged Management Review (http://www/emr.case.edu) as follows:
- Empirical papers: analyses of empirical data that result in findings of practical and theoretical importance, with a demonstrated influence on management practice.
- Essay papers: discussions of theoretical, philosophical and methodological contributions to Engaged Management Scholarship.
- Translation papers: presentations of the outcomes that engaged management scholars have had while translating their scholarship into practice.
- Topic papers: management adaptation of the Critically Appraised Topics (CAT) as found in the medical literature.
- EMR Dissertation Digest: Dissertation Digests that convey the key findings from a doctoral dissertation with findings of practical and theoretical importance and based on rigorous use of qualitative, quantitative or mixed methods (see https://emr.case.edu/contribute/dissertation).
The submission guidelines for each type of paper can be found at:
- Empirical papers: http://emr.case.edu/contribute/empirical
- Essay papers: http://emr.case.edu/contribute/essay
- Translation papers: http://emr.case.edu/contribute/translation
- Topic papers: https://emr.case.edu/contribute/topic
- EMR Dissertation Digest: https://emr.case.edu/contribute/dissertation
The deadline for the submission of a manuscript is June 19, 2022. Notification for accepted manuscripts will be on or before July 20, 2022. The final revised manuscript (in camera-ready format) is due by August 21, 2022. By this time, one or more of the authors must be registered for the conference. All accepted and presented submissions will be included in the conference proceedings.
2. Poster Submissions
These are expected to be in-progress research projects that will be reviewed and approved in advance by a select editorial board chosen by the Conference Chairs. Since the posters may not have any collected data or results at the time of the submission, they will be judged on the merit of the research idea, study plan, and potential implications for research and practice. The same template and formatting guidelines as for Complete Paper Submissions above should be followed, but the length for Short Paper Submissions is limited to 3,000 words, including references.
Posters will be in the form of a 36-inch (width) by 48-inch (height) poster that will be mounted on poster boards provided for the session. Some helpful hints on creating your poster can be found at https://colinpurrington.com/tips/poster-design/. Universidad Panamericana will provide help on poster printing on request, please contact email@example.com.
The deadline for the submission of a poster is June 19, 2022. Notification for accepted posters will be on or before July 20, 2022.
3. Doctoral Consortium Submissions:
An opportunity for executive doctoral students working on their dissertation research to share and develop their research ideas further with expert review and feedback from faculty members present who have been chosen across EDBAC institutions by the Doctoral Consortium Chairs.
All applicants must be nominated by their executive doctorate programs and, if accepted, are expected to attend all Consortium meetings and activities on Thursday, September 8, 2022 (the day before the start of the main conference). Participation can be either in person or virtually. Submissions to the Doctoral Consortium will consist of a three-page extended abstract of the ongoing dissertation work. Upon acceptance to and participation in the Doctoral Consortium, these abstracts will be included in the conference proceedings. All papers accepted through the Doctoral Consortium will be expected to be turned into posters to be presented in the poster session.
The deadline for applications to the Doctoral Consortium is June 19, 2022. Program directors (or equivalent) should submit, directly to the Doctoral Consortium Chairs, a nomination letter for all students nominated by their program for participation in the Doctoral Consortium. Nominated students should be ranked by order of recommendation. See more information in the Doctoral Consortium section.
4. Panels and Workshops:
Panel and Workshop submission options are intended to include sessions on relevant topics for Engaged Scholarship and DBA programs, faculty, students, and alumni. Panels aim to present ideas and engage the audience in discussion. Workshops are usually offered by faculty, staff, or alumni who share knowledge of a given research topic or practice.
Submissions should include: a) the panel title; b) a brief description of 4-5 sentences; and c) a list of panelists including full name, university affiliation, and panel chair (with email address). The deadline for submission of a panel is June 19, 2022. Notification for accepted panels will be on or before July 20, 2022.
All submissions and applications must be made through the EMS 2022 Easy Chair submission system. All authors and applicants will be required to create an account in the system to submit their research or applications. Please note that all research submissions must be original and not currently under review by another journal or conference. All submissions will be carefully reviewed, and accepted submissions will be expected to be presented by one or more authors registered for the conference – either in person or virtually. The submission portal for EMS 2022 will open on May 1, 2021.
Visit https://ems2022.gdl.up.mx/ for information.
Panel and workshop submissions should be sent directly to the Conference Chair.
- May 1, 2022: Conference registration (early bird) begins and submission portal opens.
- June 19: Submission deadline for regular submission papers, posters, panels, and consortiums.
- July 20: Proposal acceptance notification.
- July 31: Early bird registration ends.
- August 1: Regular conference registration in place.
- August 16: Final camera-ready deadline (one author must be registered for the conference by this deadline).
- September 8-10: EMS 2022 Conference.
Conference Chairs and Organizers:
- Conference Chair: Omar Rojas (firstname.lastname@example.org), Universidad Panamericana
- Conference Academic Co-Chair: Leonardo Suárez (email@example.com), Universidad Panamericana
- Conference Logistics Co-Chair: León Camacho (firstname.lastname@example.org), Universidad Panamericana
- Conference Manager: Ana González (email@example.com), Universidad Panamericana
- Doctoral Consortium Chair: Bart Cambré (firstname.lastname@example.org), Antwerp University
- Alumni Track Co-Chair: Jeanette Miller (email@example.com), Penn State University, and Rafael Hernández (firstname.lastname@example.org), Universidad Panamericana
- Poster Session Chair: Phillip Cola (email@example.com), Case Western Reserve University